Tuesday, November 8, 2011

maps

I am a total map addict. Crazy for 'em, I tell ya.

When I was a kid, I was the official navigator on the bazillion road trips my parents dragged me on. And holy moly, when I got my hands on my first GPS unit for my automobile, I just about dropped it out the window with excitement. Now I have 4G navigation on my smart phone, and guess what lead me down the long winding driveway to the holler in the middle of the night in a place I'd never been before, just me and my MiL? Google Navigator, baby. Topo maps, aerial imagery maps, vintage maps, trail maps, star maps, if it's a map, my eyes belong on it. I LOVE maps.

So I'm going to inundate you with a timeline of aerial maps of the holler ranging from 1997 to 2009 as well as a overview of the various outbuildings on our property. The interwebs are so freaking awesome, amiright?

March 16, 1997 aerial image depicting location of farmhouse, single-wide trailer,
and pastures, all of which are now gone or “grownup” (aka, overgrown).

September 17, 2003: RV canopy would soon become little cabin.

December 4, 2006: RV canopy transformed and farmhouse gone.

Topo map showing barn location and approximate boundaries.


Isn't it fascinating to see the history of a property through aerial imagery? I only wish they had left the old farmhouse! Being the anal-retentive person I am, I plan to use the most recent aerial imagery to plot out fence lines, garden areas, pastures, animal housing, and whatever other infrastructure I can think of, much like my favorite homesteading blog, The Walden Effect, does.

No comments:

Post a Comment