Sunday, January 20, 2013

Polly + new garden beds + hellhounds





I... can't tell you how ecstatic I am to finally have an ATV.

Jay wants me to point out that, in the above picture, he was standing while riding because the seat was wet from a recent hosing down.

Although Polly (a Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.) makes things like hauling so much easier on the farm, I think I actually work harder having her around because there's just so much awesome shit you can do with her.

Case in point: building garden beds.




The previous owner of our property left a little 3'x4' dump trailer from the local co-op (which I'm now referring to as Coopy) in the barn, and it's the perfect size for hauling down smaller pieces of wood and aged manure from the barn stalls. We also got a 5'x8' utility trailer from Tractor Supply to bring Polly home on (which I'm now referring to as 5-Spot), which will also be used for hauling larger items.

Jay already cleared some of the trails on our mountain using Polly -- the easement had a pine tree fallen across it that made it impossible to pass. He also cleared the trail up to the horseshoe pits for when the weather gets better. Because summer is just NOT THE SAME without playing horseshoes.

I failed to do some stretching before doing all this work, and now my muscles are protesting. I'm also pretty sure I sunburned my face because it was awesome and sunny out all day.













I let the hellhounds run around on the mountain for a bit this afternoon. They are doing pretty good with understanding when they're doing something I don't want them to do and how to rectify an undesirable behavior. The come command, however, needs some work. They never completely ignore me, but they only come when they want to, and that needs to change. However, they are very eager to please (a pocketful of cookies helps in that regard), so I don't think it will take long to get them to the point of being assets on the homestead, even if that means being a porch dog. I can't imagine our farm without them now.

We think Moosie is going to be lazy like Clyde Dog and Tally is going to be Jay's squirrel dog.

Clyde Dog continues to be an angel in every regard. He is the best dog ever, HANDS DOWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment