So I thawed some pizza dough and baked it. It was alright -- crusty and all that, but it took forever to bake through. However, the wait for the stew was well worth it.
Beef Stew for Two:
- 3/4 lb. stew beef, chopped into smaller pieces than what the butcher gives you, seasoned with sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 slices maple-pepper bacon, sliced
- 1 large red potato, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- lots of minced, fresh garlic. LOTS
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- some flour, for thickening
- 4 cups water, more or less
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- salt and pepper, to taste
Saute your bacon in a stew pot over medium-high heat until crispy. Don't drain the fat. Bacon fat is muy bueno.
Reduce heat to medium, and throw in the onion for a few minutes.
Then the garlic for a few minutes more.
Then the stew beef.
Toss in some flour to make a semi-roux.
Then a couple cups of water. Let it thicken. Then throw in the rest of the water.
Bring to an easy boil.
Toss in the taters, carrots, and lemon juice.
Season with celery salt, more sea salt if your palate dictates so, and some dried basil
Let that shit simmer while you bake your bread. Don't undercook the potatoes.
Then watch a funny St. Bernard vs. Beagle Mutt puppy video.